New Year 2020 in the Czech Republic
The new year 2020 in the Czech Republic is a real immersion in a medieval fairy tale. In this state, located in the east of Europe, ancient traditions are honored, but tourists can count on a high level of service. Travelers are available with different options for holding New Year's Eve and entertainment for every taste. Prices are reasonable compared to other European countries. Although any costs are fully offset by unforgettable emotions and impressions that will remain in memory for a lifetime.
The weather in the Czech Republic in January is quite comfortable. The air temperature ranges from -4-5 to + 3 + 4. It can get wet snow. So that the vagaries of the weather do not cause inconvenience, you need to bring warm clothes, a waterproof jacket and boots.
A bit about traditions
A trip to the Czech Republic for the New Year is an opportunity to learn a lot of new and interesting things. The traditions of this people are significantly different from the Russians. For example, on the night of December 31 to January 1, Czechs celebrate Sylvester Day. This holiday is dedicated to the victory over the monster. According to a long-standing belief, you need to make a lot of noise so that the monster does not come back. To do this, they organize mass walks in the streets, hold concerts, fireworks are launched.
In the Czech Republic it is not customary to walk all night. Locals and tourists go to bed after one in the morning. On January 1, Czechs celebrate Independence Day (separation from Slovakia), so entertainment programs continue throughout the day.
Where to celebrate New Year's Eve
Most tourists go to Prague for the New Year. The capital enchants with its ancient medieval architecture. On New Year's holidays, the narrow city streets become like a real fairy tale, since colorful lights glow everywhere and smells deliciously of traditional gingerbread cookies that are baked in all cafes and restaurants.
There are many ways to spend New Year's Eve in the capital:
- On the street. The most massive festivities are held in the city center - on the Old Town Square. Incendiary music, dancing and other entertainments make it possible to have fun from the heart. You can see a beautiful salute. If it gets cold, you can warm up in one of the cafes, but it is better to book a table in advance. Also, a national holiday is organized on Wenceslas Square. Locals and tourists are sure to go to Charles Bridge to make a wish.
- In a cafe or restaurant. Almost all establishments prepare traditional cuisine for the holidays. And although the menu can vary greatly, in almost any cafe or restaurant you can order baked carp. This dish must be present at every holiday table. The cost of a banquet is from 120 to 400 euros, depending on the cuisine, level of service and entertainment.
- On the boat. Unusually and unforgettably, you can spend New Year's Eve in 2020 in the Czech Republic on a ship. A 2-hour trip with dinner and champagne will cost from 150 euros.
- In a hotel. So that guests do not get bored, an entertainment program is held in almost all hotels. Usually it includes a show, a disco, games, etc. The price of a banquet depends on the hotel and starts from 200 euros.
You can stay in Prague not only in a hotel or hotel, but also in a hostel. In this case, you can save a lot. The cost of a bed is about 30 euros. An inexpensive option may be renting an apartment - from 150 euros, if you rent it with your family or a large company. The price of a hotel room depends on the number of stars and the distance from the center. It starts from 150 euros per day.
Important! Accommodation should be booked several months in advance. If you shoot before the holidays, you have to overpay. And finding a suitable option will be much more difficult.
You can celebrate New Year in the Czech Republic in other places:
- At the ski resort. Well, this option is suitable for active people, lovers of skiing and snowboarding. The most popular are Harrachov and Shpindrulev Mlyn. These resorts have trails for beginners and experienced athletes.
- In the thermal resorts. Wellness and relaxation can be combined in Karlovy Vary or Mariinsky Lazne. The sanatoriums offer an entertainment program, so you do not have to miss the holidays.
- In a quiet small town. You can go to Karlstejn or another quiet place. An excellent choice for a relaxing family vacation.
If you decide to stay outside the capital, you must definitely go on a trip to Prague.
Deciding what to do on New Year's Eve is not difficult. Several options are offered to tourists, so everyone selects entertainment to their taste and budget. Here are some ideas on how to pass the time:
- take part in the festivities that take place on the streets;
- watch street theater performances, nativity scenes;
- visit Christmas markets to buy unique souvenirs and see the handicrafts of local craftsmen;
- get to know Czech cuisine, taste national beer in a cafe or restaurant;
- take a walk on the boat, etc.
With children, you can visit the National Theater to watch the performance, or go on a tour of Sweet Prague, which includes visits to coffee houses and tasting sweet treats, as well as an excursion to the chocolate factory.
Offers from tour operators
New Year tours to the Czech Republic are also very popular among tourists. Their cost depends on several factors:
- number of days;
- star hotel;
- food (3 meals a day or breakfast only);
- departure dates;
- excursion program, etc.
The budget option starts from 45 thousand rubles for 5 days, if the departure date is December 27-28. If you leave just before the New Year, then the tour will rise in price by 15-20 thousand rubles. Combined tours are also in demand among tourists, for example, the Czech Republic - Germany or the Czech Republic - Austria. The cost of such a trip will cost from 55 thousand rubles.
To travel to the Czech Republic, a Schengen visa is required. If it is absent, it is worth doing paperwork in advance, since it takes more than 2 weeks to obtain permission.